If you are personally affected

If you feel you have been singled out in a programme and that the programme infringed your privacy, you can make a complaint to us if it involves broadcasts on certain channels.

Infringement of privacy

If a programme infringe on your privacy, you can make a complaint. If you are making a complaint on behalf of someone elses privacy, you must include written consent from the person concerned. The Swedish Broadcasting Commission must consider complaints concerning the personal interests of an individual.

The Swedish Broadcasting Commission can examine the matter of infringement of privacy for broadcasts on the following television channels:

  • TV3
  • TV6
  • TV8
  • TV10
  • V film premiere
  • V series
  • V sport 1
  • V sport extra
  • V sport motor
  • V sport premium

If the feature was broadcast on a channel on Sveriges Television, Sveriges Radio, Utbildningsradion, TV4 or C More please contact the Media Ombudsman.

If you want to respond to criticism

Sveriges Radio, Sveriges Television and Utbildningsradion are required by their broadcasting licence to be impartial. This means that anyone who is clearly singled out and criticised must be given the opportunity to respond to the criticism. If you think you should be allowed to respond to criticism, you can contact the broadcaster in question. You can report the feature to the Swedish Broadcasting Commission if your wishes are not respected. If you also believe you have suffered adverse publicity because your privacy was infringed, you can contact the Media Ombudsman.

Internet abuse is investigated by the Media Ombudsman

If you feel personally insulted or singled out by anything published or broadcast online, you should report the publication to the Media Ombudsman. The Swedish Broadcasting Commission does not review online content in accordance with the regulation on privacy.